Ireland: Work allowed for
spouses of employment
permit holders

The Ministers for Justice and Enterprise, Trade and Employment have announced that eligible spouses and partners of General Employment Permit and Intra-Corporate Transferee Irish Employment Permit holders will now be registered on a Stamp 1G permission, rather than a Stamp 3, allowing them to work without first obtaining a separate employment permit of their own.

In addition to this announcement, spouses and partners of Critical Skills Employment Permit holders and Researchers on a Hosting Agreement currently on a Stamp 3 are also now eligible for a Stamp 1G.

Effective 15 May 2024, eligible spouses and partners with a Stamp 3 endorsed on their current in-date Irish Residence Permit (IRP) card have had their permission to remain in Ireland varied to the same conditions as Stamp 1G.  They do not need to make an application to the Registration Office where they reside in counties Dublin, Meath, Kildare and Wicklow or their relevant An Garda local immigration office in the rest of Ireland to change their current permission from Stamp 3 to Stamp 1G, or acquire a new IRP.

A new Irish Residence Permit on Stamp 1G conditions be will issued to eligible persons when they seek to renew their current Stamp 3 permission upon its expiry.

Eligible spouses and partners do not need to acquire a new IRP card to engage in employment. They can provide prospective employers this letter in conjunction with their current IRP card endorsed with a Stamp 3, which explains this temporary administrative arrangement. This arrangement is valid during the transition period until 15 May 2025. After this date, eligible spouses and partners will have renewed their IRP cards to Stamp 1G.


To be eligible for this varying of permission, those who currently reside in Ireland must meet the following criteria on 15 May 2024:

  • A spouse or partner of General Employment Permit (GEP) or Intra-Corporate Transferee (ICT) permit holder; OR
  • a spouse or partner of a Critical Skills Employment Permit Holder (CSEP) or Researcher on a Hosting Agreement; OR
  • a spouse or partner of a Non-Consultant Hospital Doctor (NCHD) on a Multi-Site General Employment Permit; OR
  • a spouse or partner of someone who previously held one of the above and is now on Stamp 4 permission; OR
  • a spouse or partner of someone who has been issued a Reactivation Employment Permit for a GEP, ICT or CSEP Employment Permit.


  • Granted permission to reside in Ireland under the Non-EEA Family Reunification Policy;
  • Legally resident in the State on a valid Stamp 3;
  • Wish to engage in employment in Ireland;
  • A non-EU/EEA/UK/Swiss national.

This does not apply to:

  • All other family members, other than spouses or partners, of Employment Permit, Hosting Agreement or Intra-Corporate Transferee Permit holders; NOR
  • a spouse or partner of an Employment Permit, Hosting Agreement or Intra-Corporate Transferee Permit holder, who is present in the State on a different type of permission, such as, visitor conditions or Stamp 2 (study); NOR
  • a spouse or partner of an Employment Permit, Hosting Agreement or Intra-Corporate Transferee Permit holder who does not have permission be in the state.
  • Stamp 3 holders, who have been issued Stamp 3 permission for other reasons and are not spouses or partners of an Employment Permit, Hosting Agreement or Intra- Corporate Transferee Permit holder.

The application process for eligible spouses and partners who wish to join their family member in Ireland remains unchanged.

Relocating to Ireland?

If you are intending to relocate to Ireland for work, study or other purposes and require support with the immigration process, Smith Stone Walters can help.

Our global immigration team are experts in helping people relocate internationally with the highest level of service. To learn more about our global immigration services, please contact us today.

Share story
Back to top of page