Ask the Home Office to
check your immigration
status is correct

In order to legally work in the UK, rent property and access certain benefits and services, you may need to show that you have permission to do so by way of your immigration status.

If an individual is subject to an immigration check by an employer, landlord, bank or healthcare provider and is found to be without a lawful immigration status in the UK, they may be denied access to those benefits or services.

The Home Office may also share your immigration status with other government departments and organisations such as the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) or HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

If you believe that the Home Office holds an incorrect immigration status for you and this has affected your ability to access work, benefits or services in the UK, you can ask the Home Office to check that your immigration status is correct.

There is no charge to use this service, and you should receive a response within seven working days of the Home Office receiving your enquiry.

How to submit an enquiry

If you need to ask the Home Office to check your immigration status is correct, you will need to download and complete the enquiry form before sending it and any additional documentation to

You can also send the form by post to:

Customer Correspondence Hub (IC)
Lunar House
7th Floor
40 Wellesley Road

If the Home Office requires more information in order to make a decision, you will be contacted using the details provided in the enquiry form. Your enquiry may take longer to resolve if further information is requested.

What documents do I need to provide?

In order to help the Home Office investigate your case, you may wish to provide additional documentation, including:

  • A copy of the letter you received informing you that your access to work, benefits or services has stopped.
  • Information on who has stopped your access to work, benefits or services (for example, details of your employer or government department such as HMRC, DWP, DVLA or DVA).
  • Any reference numbers relating to your enquiry, such as your appeal reference number or Unique Application Number (UAN).
  • Copies of relevant letters to support your claim, for example an immigration decision letter or a letter sent to your employer prompting them to check your right to work in the UK.

If you are submitting your enquiry via email, you will need to supply your additional documentation in either jpg or pdf format. All documents provided must be in English or Welsh.

If you do not have any of the above documents to provide, the Home Office will still investigate your case, but it may take longer.

Proving your immigration status to others

Since 1 July 2021, EU citizens require lawful immigration status in the UK, and can no longer use their EEA passport or national identity card to prove their right to work or right to rent.

When conducting a right to work check or a right to rent check, employers and landlords will need to see your documents to confirm you have the necessary permissions in place. If you do not have a physical immigration document such as a Biometric Residence Permit (BRP), the check may be conducted online.

If you hold a digital proof of your immigration status, you can view your status online and prove it to others using the Home Office ‘view and prove your immigration status’ service. You can use this tool to get a share code, which you can then use to prove your status to others, such as an employer or a landlord.

Speak to an immigration expert

If you have any questions about proving your immigration status in the UK, Smith Stone Walters can help. To speak to an advisor, please call 0208 461 6660 or email

Share story
Back to top of page