Where can I get a TB
test for a UK visa?

Under the UK Immigration Rules, individuals applying for a visa are required to have a Tuberculosis (TB) test if they are coming to the UK for more than six months and are resident in one of the listed countries identified by the Home Office.

If you have been living in a country where you need a TB test to enter the UK, this requirement will affect you, regardless of your nationality. For example, an Australian national would not require a test if they were applying for a UK visa from Australia as it is not a listed country. However, if an Australian national had been living in China, a listed country, they would need to take a test.

Who needs a TB test?

You will only need to prove yourself free of Tuberculosis if you are resident in one of these listed countries and you are planning to spend longer than six months in the UK.

You will not need to take a TB test if:

  • You are a diplomat accredited to the UK
  • You are a returning UK resident and have not been away for more than two years
  • You lived for at least six months in a country where TB screening is not required by the UK, and you’ve been away from that country for no more than six months

Where can I get a TB test for a UK visa?

You will need to be tested at a TB test centre that has been approved by the Home Office. If your country does not have an approved test centre, you will need to travel to a neighbouring country to get tested. The Home Office will not accept TB test certificates from clinics that are not approved.

To get a test, you will need to contact your nearest approved centre directly to book an appointment. You should make it clear to the clinic that you require a TB test for a UK visa application.

You can find out the nearest approved TB test centre in your country by checking the Home Office website here.

What happens at a TB test?

A TB test consists of a chest x-ray to check for signs of the illness. If the result of the x-ray is not clear, you may be required to give a sputum sample.

When you attend the clinic for your appointment, you should bring with you:

  • Valid identification containing your photograph, such as a passport or national ID card
  • Details of any previous screenings if you have had Tuberculosis or any other lung disease in the past
  • The TB test fee. Fees will vary depending on the country you are applying from, and can be found on the Home Office website listing for your country

If your test shows that you do not have TB, you will be given a certificate which is valid for six months from the date of your x-ray. You should include this certificate with your UK visa application.

Children and pregnant women

All children applying for a UK visa from a listed country will need to show that they are free of Tuberculosis and will need to see a clinician to prove this.

Children under the age of 11 will not normally be required to have a chest x-ray. However, you must take your child to an approved clinic and complete a health questionnaire. If the clinician decides that your child does not have TB, they will provide you with a certificate which you should include with your child’s UK visa application.

Pregnant women can request an x-ray with an extra shield or take a sputum test instead, or alternatively wait until after delivery to take the test.

Help with your UK visa application

If you have any questions about applying for a UK visa or need some assistance with your application, Smith Stone Walters is here to help.

Our team of immigration experts will guide you through every step of the process, from initial consultation to delivery of your UK visa, to ensure your application is as stress-free as possible.

To speak to a member of the team, please contact us today.

Share story
Back to top of page