Applying for a Spanish
student visa

If you are a Non-European Union citizen and you are preparing to study in Spain for more than six months, you’ll need a type D student visa and student residence card (TIE – Tarjeta de identidad de extranjero).

Having received an offer from a Spanish university, your visa application should be prepared for presentation at the Spanish consulate or embassy in your home country. What you need to provide in support of visa petition and residence card will depend on your home country, but can include:

  • A valid passport to be current throughout the whole time of your stay in Spain
  • Letter of acceptance from the university
  • Proof of accommodation
  • Evidence of your  financial status
  • Valid medical insurance covering the whole duration of the stay
  • A negative criminal record check from the countries you have lived in for the past five years

When you arrive in the country you have 30 days to apply for a Spanish student residence card for foreigners (TIE) and receive a NIE number at your nearest Oficina de Extranjeros or police station. This will need renewing each academic year. 

Thinking of working?

Part-time working is permitted provided it is compatible with your studies. Before you start to work you must apply for a work permit at the Foreigners Office (Oficina de Extranjeros). Undertaking such a role, must not interfere with your studies and cannot be relied on as the only means of supporting yourself whilst in Spain.

Share story
Back to top of page