Introduction to the
EU Settlement Scheme
family permit

If you are from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and are a close  family member of an EEA or Swiss national living in the UK, you have the right to reside with them.

Following the introduction of the EU Settlement Scheme, the Home Office announced a new entry clearance application process known as the EU Settlement Scheme family permit.

If the EEA citizen you’re joining has already acquired ‘settled’ or ‘pre-settled’ status under the EU Settlement Scheme you may be eligible to apply for this new permit. Depending on your individual circumstances, acquiring this permit is likely to make it easier and quicker to enter the UK.

Do I qualify as a close family member?

 You do if you are either the EEA citizen’s spouse or civil partner, or related to them (or to their spouse or civil partner) as their:

  • child or grandchild under 21 years old, or dependent child or grandchild of any age
  • dependent parent or grandparent.

It is worth noting that under this application type, extended family members, durable partners and dependent relatives do not qualify for consideration.

If you are seeking to apply as an extended family member, for example a brother or sister, we recommend applying for the EEA family permit, which continues (for the time-being) to provide a separate entry clearance route for those who qualify for it.

Applying for an EU Settlement Scheme family permit

You must be outside the UK to apply for this family permit. The application is made online and is free. If successful, the EU Settlement Scheme Family Permit will be awarded and valid for a period of six months. The permission can then be extended for a further period upon entry to the UK.

Documents you must provide

  • a valid passport
  • evidence of your relationship to your EEA family member, for example a marriage certificate, civil partnership certificate or birth certificate
  • proof of your dependency if you’re a dependent child or grandchild of your EEA family member and you’re over 21
  • your EEA family member’s EU Settlement Scheme application number.

It is also likely that the authorities will request that the EEA citizen you’re joining is in the UK already or intends to travel with you to the UK within six months of the date of your application.

Smith Stone Walters – we are here to help 

If you would like more information in relation to this route of entry into the UK, please contact Smith Stone Walters. We are experts in UK immigration law.

Share story
Back to top of page