EU settlement scheme:
Will you support your
August 8, 2018
If you have EU nationals employed within your workforce, you may need to reassure them about what Brexit will mean for their employment status.
After 31 December 2020, EU citizens who wish to continue to live and work in the UK must register in the EU settlement scheme to achieve ‘settled status’.
Settled status means that they and their dependants remain eligible for:
- Public services, such as healthcare and school
- Public funds and pension
- British citizenship, if they meet the requirement and want to apply.
In order to meet these requirements, they must:
- Verify proof of their identity and nationality
- Confirm proof of residence in the UK
- Complete a criminality check
- Provide payment details, if applicable.
While there is plenty of time before the application deadline of 30 June 2021, employers wishing to support their European workers through the EU Settlement Scheme would be prudent to start developing a strategy to reassure staff and signpost the information currently available by the government.
What you need to consider
- Are you aware of how many EU nationals you have recruited within your organisation?
- Is your business ready and able to answer every questions that your employees may have regarding their immigration status and those of their close family members?
- How best you can support EU employees during the transition period. For instance, will your company pay/support the cost of the EU Settlement Scheme application?
Smith Stone Walters is offering the following services:
- We will support you with easy to understand factsheets and personal presentations to explain the relevant information to your EU national workforce
- After identifying those affected, we will individually assess their and their dependants’ specific circumstances in relation to the EU settlement scheme
- We will prepare each necessary application and submit them to the Home Office on their behalf.
This comprehensive solution for your organisation will have a straightforward, fixed fee. For more information, please contact us here.