Global immigration news
26 May 2022
This week, the SSW Global Immigration team would like to highlight the following updates from Canada, Italy and Malaysia.
Canada: Express Entry requirements
The government has increased the amount of proof of funds required for Express Entry.
To stay eligible, applicants may need to update their settlement numbers in their Express Entry profile, no later than 8 June 2022.
Applicants under the Federal Skilled Worker program or the Federal Skilled Trades program (not the Canadian Experience Class) who are not authorised to work in Canada and do not have a job offer need to prove they have enough money to settle in Canada (and to support their family if applicable). The amount required is updated every year.
The new proof of funds amounts are listed in the table on this Canadian government webpage.
Italy: New online portal for work permit applications
The Italian government’s new website for work permit applications opened on 16 May 2022.
Work permit applicants must now upload all required documents before submitting the online application. Delays are expected due to technical issues with the new system.
Malaysia: Changes to Pass and Special Pass rules
Malaysia Digital Economy Corporation (MDEC) has announced that, effective 1 July 2022:
- Companies must ensure that all applications submitted for approval and/or endorsements must have a valid Pass of more than 7 working days from the submission date.
- If the current Pass is valid for less than 7 working days from the submission date, a Special Pass application must be submitted first before submission of any relevant applications can be made. According to the current process, the Special Pass is applied for at the Immigration Unit in MDEC.
- For Passes that have expired more than 30 days previously, the Special Pass application must instead be submitted at the Immigration Unit Operations, Investigation and Prosecution Division (previously known as Enforcement Division) of the Immigration Department in Putrajaya.
- If the Special Pass expires due to the application being returned for whatever reason and/or if the application is still in process/review, MDEC will advise if another Special Pass is required.
- No further extension of the Special Pass flexibility will be granted after 30 June 2022.
Expert advice on global immigration
If you need support with any aspect of worldwide immigration, Smith Stone Walters is here to help.
To speak to a member of our Global Immigration team, please contact us today.